Add some extra power to your chest workout with this guide on how to do cable crossover. This movement not only looks super cool, the use of cables ups the ante on your regular upper-body day workouts for some amazing gains.
How to do cable crossover
1. Select a cable machine with two cable pulls
2. Set the cable at around shoulder height and choose matching, light weights
3. Stand between the two pulls, facing outwards and grasp each one with the corresponding hand
4. Step out forward into the starting position of a lunge and pull the cables with you so they’re close to your shoulders
5. Keep your hands at shoulder height and move them outwards. Your arms should be slightly bent, your elbows raised slightly and your chest should be high. This is your starting position
6. From there, keep your body straight and strong, and push forward and down until your hands cross over at about belly button height. Keep your arms slightly bent to avoid putting too much strain through your biceps
7. Slowly return your arms to the start position
Tip: Keep this slow and controlled and you’ll really feel the burn through your chest.
The benefits of cable crossover
There are plenty of burning chest movements you can do to build strength, but the cable crossover has an edge over your usual weighted options.
A cable provides constant resistance throughout a movement, so it’s challenging your body from start to finish. For example, if you were to do a bench press, the top and bottom positions of the exercise are actually rest positions. On a cable machine, you won’t get any rest because the cable is constantly pulling away from you. But we know that’s fine with you lifting girls – you’re all about taking on the challenge.
Inspired to take your upper body day to the next level? Round out your knowledge with these exercises: