For guys, leg workouts are mostly overlooked and are not considered as essential as working on those arms. But for girls, we love a good lower body session, and an amazing kettlebell leg workout can’t be missed!
Not only does a kettlebell leg workout give you enviable shape, working on your lower body is important to staying fit and healthy. Leg and butt muscles are kind of like the foundation of your body and provide strength to perform all types of activities.
We’re talking about amazing athetic performances on the track, unfailing strength in those killer spin sessions and a good lower body routine can even reduce your chances of getting injuries in the long run.
And if you’re thinking about including a kettlebell leg workout, then you’ll be truly impressed with not only the versatility of these sessions, but the burn factor too!
Check out our kettlebell leg workout for yourself.
Kettlebell Leg Workout – The Workout
With a kettlebell, there are a variety of exercises that you can perform. The kettlebell leg workout we’ve listed below will target different muscle groups and the rep and set patterns will help to vary the intensity.
The following is a hand-picked kettlebell workout that aims specifically at your legs:
- 4 sets of Goblet Squats
- 4 sets of One-Legged Deadlift
- 4 sets of Goblet Lunges
- 4 sets of Sumo Squats
- 4 sets of Kettlebell Step-Up
Include 15 reps in each set. Take a rest period of 45 seconds between each set. After each exercise, rest for 1 minute.
To start this kettlebell leg workout, we recommend you perform it two days a week, and gradually take it up to three days if you need to. But honestly, two leg focused days a week will definitely give you some amazing improvements.
If the workout seems too much for you to handle, you can try varying its intensity to suit yourself. This can be done by reducing the reps in each set or reducing the number of sets for each exercise. However, you should always aim to gradually increase the intensity of the workout as you get used to the exercises. You’ll get strong very quickly with this workout!
After your kettlebell leg workout, don’t forget to top up on protein regularly and eat a high protein, nutritious diet with plenty of carbs and healthy fats too! This will make sure you get the very best results from your kettlebell leg workouts, promote recovery and continue to improve your fitness along the way.
If you’re looking for a good protein supplement, we’d recommend the Transparent Labs Vegan Protein is a winner. It’s completely plant based which is amazing, and comes with a whopping 24g of protein in each serving! It’s the perfect way to top up on those amazing muscle building amino acids.
You can buy it from the official website here.
Kettlebell Leg Workout – The Exercises
The exercises listed above may seem unfamiliar. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Have a look at the fantastic step-by-step guide we’ve written for each exercise in the workout:
- Stand upright with your feet at shoulder-distance. Hold the kettlebell close to the chest with both hands.
- Tighten your core and squat down. Keep your back straight and your head up.
- Now in the squat position, push off your heels to drive back up to the starting position.
- Stand with the kettlebell hanging in one hand.
- Now standing on one leg, lower the kettlebell and bend your upper body forwards until it’s almost parallel with the ground. Simultaneously, push your free leg back and extend it.
- Now bring forward the extended leg and return to the upright position.
- Stand upright with the kettlebell close to your chest in both your hands.
- Bend your knees and take a big step back with one leg, forming a 90-degree angle between your two legs.
- Push your forward heel and return to the starting position.
- Stand with your feet wider than shoulder-distance apart. Tilt your toes outwards. With both hands, hold the kettlebell in front of your legs.
- Bend your knees and lower your body until your upper legs are almost parallel to the ground.
- Use your heels to push up, extend your legs, and return to the starting position.
Kettlebell Goblet March:
- Stand upright holding the kettlebell, with both your hands, close to your chest.
- Lift one leg and bend your knees to the hips. Pause for only a moment, and bring it back down.
- Repeat for the other leg. This makes one rep.
The Final Word
Kettlebell leg workouts are highly effective for strengthening many muscles in the body. In particular, these exercises are beneficial for the glutes, hamstrings, and quads – the major muscles of your legs.
With just one piece of equipment, getting into good shape has never been easier. The kettlebell leg workout is the perfect way to engage major muscles in your legs, as well as improve overall strength and flexibility.
The kettlebell is a versatile piece of equipment. It can be conveniently used to perform efficient leg workouts. Whether at the gym or home, the kettlebell is surely a must-have.